How to become a member of our lodge
Here you will find out the steps you can take to become a Knaresborough Freemason in the Forest of Knaresborough Lodge 7452. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to give us a call on the number or e-mail address on this website.
How do I start?
- If you have a friend or member of the family who is already a member of our lodge, start by having a word with them and they will be only too happy to help get you moving along
- If not, you can easily make an enquiry either by phoning us (use the phone number on this website), e-mailing us (with the e-mail address on this webite) or using the contact form - we would be delighted to hear from you!
What would happen next?
- If, after having chatted with us and are still keen to find out more, you will be invited along to come and meet some of us and get to know us in an informal gathering
- If this goes well, you'll be invited for a slightly more formal interview where we can find out a bit more about you and you will have the chance to ask us any questions you still may have
- There will be a small application form for you to fill and and sign, and then your name will go forward among the rest of the members of the lodge for ballot
- You will need a "proposer" and a "seconder" - if you don't already know two people from our lodge, two of our members will put their names forward for the task
I heard this urban myth about black balls and white balls?
- Actually, that is one of the few things that is not an urban myth - it's the traditional way for Freemasons to hold an anonymous ballot and it's the way we hold ballots in our lodge. It's just a very convenient and quick way of making the ballot anonymous
- You'll not be physically present for the ballot but you will be informed immediately afterwards
- It is typical for each ballot to go forward without a hitch - usually there will be plenty of opportunities for people to iron out any reservations (if there are any!) long before the ballot is held
And if that goes well?
- You will then be given a date for your initiation meeting into Freemasonry. On this date and time, you turn up at our lodge in Knaresborough where we welcome you into our lodge and into Freemasonry!
- Freemasons love to throw a bit of a celebration, so the initiation meeting is a splendid affair, a welcoming ceremony and a great dramatic occasion for you to enjoy
- Don't be worried if you have to wait a month or two before your initiation, Freemasons calendars do get booked up quite well in advance, and there is a colossal amount of work involved in making your initiation go successfully (as you will discover) but be assured we will try to get you in as soon as convenient
What happens at the initiation?
- It is a lovely ceremony, a very dramatic occasion and certainly something a little slice out of the ordinary but nothing to panic about
- Most candidates afterwards describe it as an extremely enjoyable and uplifting experience and one they will remember for the rest of their lives
- After the initiation meeting, Freemasons love to celebrate, so there will be a meal, some drinks and lots of good banter
- As to what specifically happens - you'll have to join us to find out! But whatever you do, the correct answer almost certainly will not be found on Google, but a whole ton of misinformation and fake news certainly will, so you will do yourself a favour if you avoid the temptation
Forest of Knaresborough Lodge